We can’t do it without you!
Your generous tax-deductible donation goes directly to NAMI Arkansas to help provide support, education, and advocacy to thousands of people living with mental illness across the state. Every gift you make, big or small, helps us fight to eliminate the stigma against mental illness. Contact us for more information about your giving options at 800-844-0381.
Ways Of Giving
There are so many ways you can help us continue our mission of providing education, support, and awareness on behalf of individuals living with mental illness and their families. Here are a few popular options:
- Online: Donate Now
- By Mail: 1012 Autumn Road, Suite 1,
Little Rock, AR 72211
Gifts of Securities
A gift of appreciated securities held for more than one year may provide significant benefits to you as a contributor, such as:
- Entitling you to a charitable income tax deduction for the fair market value of the gifted securities as of the date of the gift.
- Eliminating capital gains tax that would ordinarily become due if you had sold the appreciated securities on the open market and donated the proceeds from the sale to charity.
- Claiming your charitable deduction against up to 30% of your adjusted gross income. Any unused deductions can be carried forward over the next five years.
- Providing a way to help you to achieve your long-term financial objective of reducing your income and estate taxes.
Suppose you have securities that have declined in value over the years and are interested in donating them to help senior adults remain independent. In that case, you may find it more advantageous to sell the securities first and contribute the proceeds to charity instead of donating them outright. This strategy should allow you to claim a deduction for the loss from selling the securities and the charitable gift.
If you are considering donating stock that is subject to a cash merger or tender offer, it’s important for you to note that you will be subject to tax on the capital gain even though the shares were transferred to us before the tender offer became effective.
You should always consult with your financial advisor before initiating a charitable gift arrangement.
Gifts of appreciated securities could provide even greater benefits to you through Planned Giving.
Ways to Give Securities:
There are two ways to donate securities: Physical Delivery or an Electronic Transfer Authorization. Be sure to notify us of your decision.
If you have physical securities, you may deliver them in person, by registered mail, or by courier to our central office. You must provide an Irrevocable Stock/ Bond Power Form if they are registered in your name.
Electronic Transfer Authorization
Your Broker can electronically transfer your securities to NAMI Arkansas. We provide an Electronic Transfer Authorization form because this request must be made in writing.
Instructions for the Electronic Transfer of Securities:
NAMI Arkansas cannot initiate transfers from your Broker.
Thrivent Financial Further Credit to NAMI Arkansas Tax ID #71-0569165
Broker Contact: Michael D. Videll, FIC
Phone: 501-590-2148 cell 501-476-3439 office
10809 Executive Center Cir. Suite 205 Little Rock, Arkansas 72211
Wills, Trusts, and Annuities
NAMI Arkansas is fortunate to have many friends join us in the fight to eliminate the Stigma against Mental Illness by providing advocacy, support, and education by making us the beneficiary of a gift through bequests, trust agreements, life insurance, retirement accounts, or other forms of planned gifts.
With a planned gift to NAMI Arkansas, you can combine your desire to give to charity with your overall financial, tax, and estate planning goals. Planned giving gives you a special connection in the fight to end the stigma.
Discover Your Gift Opportunities
- IRA Charitable Rollover Gifts Permanently Extended
- Use Your Traditional IRA to Make Your Charitable Gifts
In 2006, Congress changed the tax law that allows individuals aged 70½+ to make charitable gifts directly from a traditional IRA account to charity without incurring federal income tax on the withdrawal. Many people have not heard about this option for making charitable gifts because it expires every two years and must be renewed by Congress.
H.R. 2029, the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015, changed all that, making this provision a permanent, rather than temporary, part of the tax code (to the extent anything is permanent in the tax code). The IRA Charitable Rollover provides an excellent opportunity to make a gift during your lifetime from an asset that would be subject to multiple levels of taxation if it remained in your taxable estate.
- You must be age 70½ or older at the time of the gift.
- Transfers must be made directly from a traditional IRA account by your IRA administrator to the NAMI Arkansas. Funds that are withdrawn by you and then contributed do NOT qualify. Gifts from 401k, 403b, SEP, and other plans do not qualify.
- Gifts must be outright. Distributions to donor-advised funds or life-income arrangements such as charitable remainder trusts and charitable gift annuities are prohibited.
Benefits — qualified charitable distributions
- It can total up to $100,000.
- Are not included in your gross income for federal income tax purposes on your IRS Form 1040 (no charitable deduction is available, however).
- Count towards your minimum required distribution for the year from your IRA.
Suppose Mike has $500,000 in an IRA and wants to contribute $20,000 to the NAMI Arkansas. He can authorize the administrator of his IRA to transfer $20,000 to NAMI Arkansas and $5,000 to himself. The $20,000 distributed to NAMI Arkansas will not be subject to federal tax and will be counted toward his annual minimum required distribution.
As you plan your minimum required distributions for this year, if you do not need the money the government requires you to take, consider using it for a charitable gift using the IRA Charitable Rollover.
NAMI Arkansas will make arrangements to assist in packing and collecting your estate items to be donated to NAMI. We work hard to maximize the proceeds of every estate donation/auction to end the stigma.
Questions and Answers
H.R. 2029, the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015, has permanently extended the IRA Charitable Rollover. Initially passed in 2006 as part of the Pension Protection Act, the IRA Charitable Rollover allows individuals age 70½ and older to make direct transfers totaling up to $100,000 per year to 501(c)(3) charities without having to count the transfers as income for federal income tax purposes.
Individuals aged 70½ or older at the time of the contribution (you have to wait until your actual 70½th birthday to make the transfer).
How much can I transfer?
$100,000 per year. The provision no longer has an expiration date.
From what accounts can I make transfers?
Transfers must come from your IRAs directly to the American Cancer Society. If you have retirement assets in a 401k, 403b, etc., you must first roll those funds into an IRA. Then you can direct the IRA administrator to transfer the funds from the IRA directly to the American Cancer Society.
To what charities can I make gifts?
Tax-exempt organizations classified as 501(c) (3) charities, including the NAMI Arkansas, to which deductible contributions can be made.
Can I use the IRA Charitable Rollover to fund life-income gifts (charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, pooled income funds), donor-advised funds, or supporting organizations?
No, these are not eligible.
Can I use the IRA Charitable Rollover to support [insert one of your key priorities here, Example: Meals on Wheels]?
Yes, all IRA Rollover gifts can be used to support this important need.
How will the NAMI Arkansas count the gift?
We will give you full credit for the entire gift amount.
What are the tax implications to me?
- Federal — You do not recognize the transfer to the NAMI Arkansas as income, provided it goes directly from the IRA administrator to us. However, you are not entitled to an income tax charitable deduction for your gift.
- State — Each state has different laws, so you must consult with your advisors. Some states have a state income tax and will include this transfer as income. Some will allow for a state income tax charitable deduction within those states, and others will not. Other states base their state income tax on the federal income or federal tax paid. Still, other states have no income tax at all.
Does this transfer qualify as my minimum required distribution?
Once you reach age 70½, you must take minimum distributions from your retirement plans each year, according to a federal formula. IRA Charitable Rollovers count towards your minimum required distribution from the IRA for the year.
Can my spouse make an IRA Charitable Rollover, even if we are married and file jointly?
Yes, every individual can use the IRA Charitable Rollover for up to $100,000 annually.
How do I know if an IRA Charitable Rollover is right for me?
You are at least age 70½, and:
- You do not need the additional income necessitated by your minimum required distribution, OR
- Your charitable gifts already equal 50% of your adjusted gross income, so you do not benefit from an income tax charitable deduction for additional gifts, OR
- You do not itemize deductions, OR
- You are subject to income phase-outs on your income tax deductions.
What is the procedure for executing an IRA Charitable Rollover?
To your plan provider to initiate a rollover. Ensure you contact us when you direct the rollover so we can look for the check from your IRA administrator.
Give to NAMI Arkansas without affecting your cash flow during your lifetime. Contact us for more information.
Charitable Gift Annuity – Immediate
Receive a fixed payout and significant tax benefits. Contact us for more information.
Charitable Gift Annuity – Deferred
It’s recommended for younger donors to build retirement earnings for the future. Contact us for more information.
Charitable Lead Trust
Discover an innovative way to pass appreciating assets on to family members while making gifts in the interim. Contact us for more information.
Remainder Annuity Trust
Make a large gift and receive a fixed-income payout each year. Contact us for more information.
Retained Life Estate
Receive a significant deduction by donating a residence while retaining the right to live there for life. Contact us for more information.
Contact us for more information or additional help with your giving options NAMI ARKANSAS 1-800-844-0381
Donation of Office Supplies
What We Need
We are always in need of general office supplies:
- White/Colored copy paper
- Sticky notes
- Legal pads
- Gift cards to Office Depot, Staples, and Sam’s Club always are appreciated
24/7 assistance available
In a crisis?
or go to your local emergency room immediately.